Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tax payers can get their money's worth from my education

Who do I think I am anyways! Do I think I offer any well thought and insightful information on anything that has to do with politics? Well, actually I do think I have some good things to say but they may tend to be some regurgitated information from the news with some extra academic information slapped on the outside. BUT stick with me here I just may have a good idea.

In the Golden State of California we have the forced kindness of people who pay taxes and some of those taxes go to subsidize the state education system. I happen to go one of those institutions, California State University, Sacramento. In my opinion I think there are wonderful professors for around the cost of $4,000 a semester for California residents.

Now a $4,000 a semester price tag seems like a steal for education that is subsidized, and depending on who you are it can be. But in 2011 tuition went up 22% and this had the students demonstrating on campus with marches and sit-ins, something I took part in. There were various reason why students were angered at the rising tuition such as: classes being cut, admin services being reduced and the President receiving upwards of $60,000 to remodel his kitchen for entertaining purposes of course, while making over $200,000. The students getting upset and mass amounts of money going to ridiculous places is not what this is about though.

While the protests and sit-ins were taking place the media was covering them and the best place to debate is in those news article online comment sections. Only the best and the brightest make comments there. There were people saying that the students were spoiled, whiners and that they, the taxpayer, did not want to pay into the system any longer. That the students should pay for it themselves to really appreciate the education because no one helped them when they were in college. I was answering most of these posts as the unofficial news blogger of the sit-in on CSUS's campus. From that experience this is where I came up with this glorious idea, to blog about my classes thus passing on information to the tax paying citizen. Because of my current classes schedule I feel the information I am gaining is important to every person in California.

So this blog is now dedicated to you, the wonderful CA tax payer, you can now reap an immediate benefit of your money because we are an inpatient society, which is not your fault either we can collectively blame technology. So what are you going to learn this semester.....

My classes this semester are: Govt 170 Public Policy Development, Govt 180 California State and Local Government, Journalism 135 Public Affairs Reporting and Journalism 153 Mass Media Law.

You can expect to get information about: what to read and why to read it, facts and figures and other important information. This is purely educational and in no way constitutes cheating as I will not be posting my full notes or tests but may post my papers after they have been graded and corrected by me.

I just want you, the tax payer, to feel like you are getting something for your money and in turn I get to share some important, vital and interesting information about California government and politics, and some journalism stuff as well. You can expect some other posts about my student organization activities but I will explain that later because I have reading to get done.

I hope you enjoy this semester.

Brandon Marshall
Senior Govt and Journalism Student
CSU Sacramento

No comments:

Post a Comment